Saturday, August 13, 2011

Do you think when one writes about despair that he reinforces this feeling or catharcizes himself of it?

I'm pretty sure "catharcizes" isn't a word...but I know what you mean. Anyway, I think it would depend on the individual. I like to write and I write really depressing stories sometimes, and for me it doesn't seem to make me more sad or less sad - pretty much I just stay the same mood as before, except sometimes I will be slightly cheered up if I think it's a really good story. (That has more to do with narcissism than catharsis, but still.) It's just nice to feel like at least *something* good is coming out of all my bad experiences... On the other hand, my writing might have longer-term adverse effects on my mood...such as due to self-perception theory, over-ysis, dwelling on the past, or whatnot. (That never occurred to me until now.) Even if that's the case, though, I'm not going to stop writing. For me, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment